Saturday, May 26, 2007

Good Day Saturday

Was able to put in 22 miles today and never got more than about five miles from the house. Biked to Wal-Mart to do some shopping then a ride around the neighborhood. Next time I'll take my camera. There was an auto show nearby with a lot of custom cars from the 50's and 60's. Seeing those cars made me remember when I owned a 1953 Ford Custom. I remember paying $0.179 per gallon for gas. Yes, that's correct, seventeen cents a gallon. Later in the day rode to Publix to do a little grocery shopping. I am beginning to think I could probably cut 50% of my auto usage if I really put my mind to it. I am thinking that if I ride my bike places that I previously used the car, I should be able to count those miles when figuring out my gas mileage. In other words, suppose I normally used the car for 100 miles per week and got 20 miles per gallon. Then I start using the bike and am able to cut my auto miles to 50 miles per week. I am actually still going 100 miles to get my 'stuff' done. Therefore my fuel mileage should go from 20 mpg to 40 mpg. As a result my gas expense has been cut 50%. Kinda makes me feel good .

No comments: